Postdoc (m/f/d) in Organic Environmental Chemistry
Our Institute of Coastal Environmental Chemistry invites applications for a Postdoc position in the area of organic environmental chemistry. The Postdoc position is embedded into the P-LEACH project (Impacts on ecosystem functions and human health by environmental plastics and associated chemicals). P-LEACH is an “innovation pool project” within the framework of the Helmholtz research program „Changing Earth – Sustaining our Future“ of the Research Field Earth and Environment. It serves to strengthen the cooperation between the participating Helmholtz Centers (UFZ, AWI, Hereon, GEOMAR) and to promote innovative ideas of young scientists.
P-LEACH assesses the impact of chemicals from globally increasing environmental plastic pollution on ecosystem functions and human health. Plastics impact ecosystems as a new habitat for colonization (“plastisphere”), and weathering leads to fragmentation and leaching of chemicals, including harmful additives (e.g., plasticizers, bisphenols, metals). Our multidisciplinary consortium will jointly characterize these pollutants and their synergistic impacts on ecosystem functions with a strong focus on microbial geochemical cycles in realistic aquatic settings along the land-coast-ocean continuum and at hot spots (German Bight, North Atlantic and Pacific Gyres, Lyngøyne/NO). P-LEACH also addresses human health effects using human cell lines and human tissues.
The position starts January 2022 and is initially for 3 years.
- target analysis and suspect screening of plastic-associated chemicals (monomers, oligomers, additives like plasticizers, UV stabilizers, flame retardants) in plastic leachates, samples from mesocosm experiments, surface waters
- development and validation of ultra-trace analytical methods using GC- and LC-HRMS
- creation of suspect lists and development of data evaluation workflows
- participation in sampling campaigns including research vessel cruises
- strong interdisciplinary collaboration with project partners
- write, publish and present your research in scientific journals and at conferences
- PhD in chemistry, environmental chemistry, food chemistry or equivalent qualification with focus on analytical chemistry
- solid background in analytical lab work
- practical experience with GC-(HR)MS/(MS) and/or LC-(HR)MS/(MS)
- good publication record in peer-reviewed journals
- fluency in spoken and written English and communication skills, German language skills are welcome
- willingness and ability to participate in sea-going expeditions as well as a driving license equivalent to German class B (cars) are advantageous
- excellent team spirit and interest and competence to cooperate in an interdisciplinary research team