Postdoctoral Investigator (m/f/d) in the area of submesoscale dynamics and ocean color
The Institute of Coastal Research at the Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht (HZG) investigates the physical and biogeochemical dynamics of the coastal ocean and the impact of anthropogenic influences on the natural state.
One scientific focus of the institute is the investigation of submesoscale dynamics. The Remote Sensing group at HZG uses infrared and spectral data obtained from satellites, aircrafts, a zeppelin, and drones as well as in situ water sampling enabling the study processes on scales of a few meters to kilometers and minutes to days. One aim is to gain reliable ocean color information from the diverse platforms in optically complex waters and link submesoscale physical processes with phytoplankton biomass dynamics (clockwork-ocean.com).
We invite applications for a postdoctoral investigator position (m/f/d) in the research group Remote Sensing at the Institute of Coastal Research with preferred starting date on September 1st, 2019. The position is limited to three years. The place of employment is Geesthacht, Germany.
The tasks of the successful candidate will include:
- utilization and interpretation of airborne thermal and ocean colour data of very high spatial and temporal resolution
- investigation of the influence of submesoscale structures on phytoplankton distribution, productivity, and physiology
- analyse short and long term drivers of phytoplankton growth and blooms
- planning of and participation in international research expeditions, e.g. on board research vessels or airplanes
- scientific publication and presentations
- working in a multidisciplinary team within the institute and with external academic partners
- a doctoral degree in physical oceanography, marine science, engineering, or related discipline
- good knowledge of ocean dynamics, preferably of small-scale or submesoscale dynamics
- experience in optical remote sensing and ocean colour
- knowledge of processing and interpretation of observational data
- good programming skills in Matlab and/or Python
- strong academic publication record
- good communication skills in English (German is of additional advantage)
- high degree of creativity and flexibility
- willingness to participate in research cruises and travel
==> Closing date for applications is July 2, 2019
==> Further details for this job offer code-no. 2019/KO 10