PhD Position (m/f/d) in the area of Air-Sea lnteraction
We are looking for a highly motivated student to investigate energy and momentum exchange processes between the atmosphere and the ocean. Understanding and quantifying energy and scalar fluxes across the air-sea interface are crucial for a number of environmental challenges, including weather, climate and sea state forecasting. The Air-Sea lnteraction group at the Institute of Coastal Research conducts laboratory and field based research, using novel imaging techniques to investigate small-scale turbulent dynamics within the coupled atmospheric and oceanic boundary layers. Particular focus is given to ocean surface waves, and how they influence ocean-atmosphere interactions.
We invite applications for a PhD position (m/f/d) in the area of Air-Sea lnteraction at the Institute of Coastal Research with preferred starting date on May 1, 2019. The position is limited to three years with the degree being awarded through the University of Kiel. The place of employment is Geesthacht (Germany).
The tasks of the successful candidate will include:
- designing, planning and performing laboratory (wind-wave tank) and field (coastal waters) experiments, using state-of-the-art imaging techniques (e.g., PIV, Particle Image Velocimetry)
- developing computational codes to process and understand large experimental datasets (e.g., image processing)
- analyzing experimental results; developing conceptual models and parameterizations to better predict air-sea fluxes of momentum and energy
- scientific publications and presentations
- working as an integral part of a motivated multidisciplinary team within the institute and with external academic partners
- a Master’s degree in oceanography, geosciences, physics, mechanics or related disciplines
- programming skills in one or more languages (Matlab, Python, R, C, Fortran)
- excellent knowledge of English (written and spoken)
- high degree of motivation, creativity, and flexibility
- ability and willingness to participate in sea-going research
==> Closing date for applications is April 16, 2019
==> Further details for this job offer code-no. 2019/KO 3