Ph.D. Position (m/f/d) In the area of Ocean Color Remote Sensing
The Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht (HZG), Centre for Materials and Coastal Research, is located near Hamburg. The Institute of Coastal Research investigates the physical and biogeochemical dynamics of the coastal ocean and the impact of anthropogenic influences on the natural state.
Long-term satellite time series of ocean color are ideally suited to investigate spatial and temporal changes and patterns of algal blooms in coastal seas in response to physical or anthropogenic drivers. Algorithms for these optically complex coastal waters have been developed by the Remote Sensing Group at the Institute of Coastal Research.
We offer a PhD position (m/f/d) to study the interaction between physical and biological processes in coastal waters based on remote sensing of ocean color and additional oceanographic and climatological data. Of particular interest are the spatial and temporal patterns of algal blooms in coastal seas, especially their origin and phenology in relation to stratification, bathymetry, storms, flood events, or long-term changes.
We invite applications for a Ph.D. position (m/f/d) in the research group Remote Sensing at the Institute of Coastal Research with preferred starting date as soon as possible. The position is limited to three years with the degree being awarded through the University of Kiel.
The tasks of the successful candidate will include:
- utilization of satellite ocean color data, mainly Sentinel-2/MSI, Sentinel-3/OLCI, and different climatological data
- investigate spatial as well as short- and long-term patterns and drivers of phytoplankton growth in coastal waters of the north Sea and global shelf seas
- investigate phytoplankton abundance and optical diversity
- presentation of results in scientific publications and on international conferences
- working as an integral part of a multidisciplinary team within the institute and with external academic partners
==> Closing date for applications is February 10, 2019
==> Further details for this job offer code-no. 2019/KO 1