PhD Position (m/f/d) in numerical modelling of mercury bio-accumulation in the marine food web
The Institute of Coastal Research at the Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht (HZG) hosts a number of highly motivated and experienced researchers in the broad field of coastal research. Our research focus lies on numerical modelling of coastal processes with specific expertise in modelling of atmospheric and marine biogeochemistry and interactions between environmental compartments on regional and coastal scales. At HZG we develop numerical models with the aim to determine past and current state of the environment and to identify major drivers for future changes in the system.
As part of our chemical model development team the PhD student will take part in the further development of our multi-media chemistry transport modelling framework. The aim of the PhD is to identify key processes and functional groups that determine the bio-accumulation of mercury species in marine ecosystems and to implement them into the ecosystem model.
We are a diverse group including researchers with a background in physics, chemistry, biology, oceanography, and environmental sciences. We offer a high degree of freedom for creative students willing to invest their time. An ideal candidate should be eager to delve into an inderdisciplinary environment and be comfortable to work or to learn working with a high performance computing platform. The PhD will be done in cooperation with the University of Hamburg and the candidate will be enrolled in the SICSS graduate school over the course of their studies.
The duration of the position is 36 months.
Your tasks include:
- research of existing datasets from environmental monitoring and laboratory studies
- development of conceptual models for bio-accumulation and their implementation into three dimensional numerical models
- application of the numerical model to simulate current and future bio-accumulation of pollutants in the marine environment
- work as an integrative part of a motivated multidisciplinary team within the institute and external
- scientific publication and presentations at international conferences
==> Closing date for applications is January 27, 2019
==> Further details for this job offer code-no. 2018/KS 11