PhD Position (m/f) for Matter Transport and Ecosystem Dynamics
The Institute of coastal research at the Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht hosts a number of highly motivated and experienced researchers in the broad field of coastal research. Our research focus lies on numerical modelling of coastal processes with specific expertise in modelling of atmospheric and marine biogeochemistry and interactions between different environmental compartments on regional and coastal scales. At Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht we develop numerical models with the aim to determine the past and current state of the environment and to identify the major drivers for future changes in the system.
The working group for Matter Transport and Ecosystem Dynamics at the Department of System Analysis and Modelling invites applications for a PhD position (m/f). Changes in marine ecosystem occur on different time scales. Besides relatively abrupt changes in the ecosystem on yearly time scales, observations and models also indicate decadal to centennial variations. Long-term reconstructions of the regional climate now allows for associated long-term model simulations of the marine environment and ecosystem. The proposed position will thus focus on the reconstruction of the North Sea and Baltic Sea environment and ecosystem on time scales larger of 150 yrs and longer with the fully coupled ecosystem model ECOSMO E2E. The aim of the study is to identify the role of long-term climate variations for changes in the ecosystem and to evaluate the underlying processes and their variability. The position is limited to 36 months.
- setup and performing of long-term model integrations on the basis of available climate reconstructions
- identify and develop relevant tools for data analysis
- identify and test hypothesis for underlying processes relevant for long-term ecosystem changes in North Sea and Baltic Sea
- work as an integrative part of a motivated multidisciplinary team within the institute and external academic partners
- write scientific publications in peer reviewed journals
- presentation of results at meetings and international conferences
==> Closing date for applications is January 13th, 2019
==> Further details for this job offer code-no.2018/KS14