Hello everybody, this is the new AWIPEV team speaking! We will share with you via this medium some of our experiences considering our job mission in Ny-Ålesund. With “we” I mean Gregory (stationleader), Yohann (logistics engineer) and me, Fieke (observatory engineer). At the moment we are in our quarantine hotel nearby the airport of Oslo and luckily, we have little fridges in our rooms. Gregory brought along 4 kilograms of Saint Nectaire (cheese), Yohann 8 kilograms of Comté (also cheese). I should have brought 5 kilograms of Gouda to brag along and to make the image complete, but I did not. Too bad.
Gregory and I are being recruited by AWI, Yohann by IPEV. Before coming to Oslo, we had a preparation phase of about three months. A highlight of the preparation was definitely our last week at IPEV in Brest, France, where we did the boat training all together. Let me present you:
BOATING TRAINING IN 20 STEPS
- Yohann driving the trailer with the boat in the water.
- Gregory getting into a survival suit and guiding the boat in the water.
- Everybody getting into the boat.
- Yohann, Gregory and Fieke practising knots, navigating and manoeuvres.
- Navigating towards an island for lunch.
- Anchoring the boat.
- Leaving the boat.
- Someone forgetting something on the boat.
- Gregory returning to the boat to get the forgotten stuff because he was still wearing his survival suit.
- Eating lunch on a very idyllic Breton island.
- Helping Dominique (our boat trainer and IPEV responsible) to look for bigorneaux (eatable sea snails) so that he has something to eat in the evening.
- Looking for a big rock to pee behind
- Returning to the boat and sailing away.
- Gregory, Yohann and Fieke getting all dressed in survival suits, ready to jump off the boat, Dominique giving instructions on what to do.
- Jumping off the boat, posing for the picture and experiencing the feeling of wearing a survival suit when you’re overboard.
- Discovering your survival suit was coincidently permeable and you are being soaked up to your underpants (Fieke).
- Getting on the boat again.
- Fieke receiving a dry, but sweaty T-shirt from Yohann (team building aspect).
- Navigating back.
- Leaving the boat and getting the boat on shore again.
Try it, but it is at your own risk 😉 You will hear from us soon again!